Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Life`s not just being alive...


Being well is what counts... (approximately every 10th person in Estonia is declared disabled)

Older generation of Estonians are so weak and most of them sick. And I think it`s not just the age. It`s also the conditions they had to live in when they were younger. And they were working physically very hard. And now there`s strong consequences. They don`t live half as good as swedes or finnish elderly people for example. And yet they worked so hard. So much labour was put into moving the mountains and a silly little mouse was born. I have 2 grandmothers and I´m really glad that they have all the support of their children, otherwise I couldn`t even imagine how they would get by with this ridiculously small amount of money they get from the government. It`s sad! They deserve better!
Let`s take this man on the photo for example. He`s blind! The support money he get`s from this country is 2100 krouns pension and 600 for disability. And over 1000 krouns goes straightly back to the government for taxes. So he must live with 1500 krouns (100 euros) a month. How can that be possible?!? He had to do something to survive, so he started playing accordion on streets (He had to get permission from the government by the way). It`s considered as his business and according to the law he should pay taxes from this income as well. I mean...WHAT?!?

1 comment:

Elli said...

it seems that I really am bad at making my point clear... you misunderstood me again. with that"silly little mouse"-statement i wanted to say that they worked hard but didn`t get anything out of it. they should get higher pensions.
and..do you have any information about the pensions in Germany? I don`t but i guess it`s much bigger than estonians get. and when a person knows that he can`t really go anywhere, beacause of lack of money and all the activity one can afford is visiting friends and work in a garden, there is a possibility that this old person feels useless,frustrated...that makes them weak and illnesses take control over them right away. I think my grandmom would start feeling much better and healthier if she gets a chance to go france.. or italy...or wherever.you see what I mean?